Our network

News

CARMELLO’S HOSTS J. LOHR WINE DINNER

CARMELLO’S HOSTS J. LOHR WINE DINNER

Carmello’s is hosting a J. Lohr Winery Wine Dinneron Thurs., Sept. 17 at 6:30 p.m. for $80 inclusive, per person. The four-course dinner will feature J. Lohr Winery wines that complement dishes from Carmello’s new fall menu. For reservations, go to www.carmellos.com.  

The wine dinner includes four courses: 2013 J. Lohr Carol’s Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc with insalata frutti di mare, chilled shrimp, scallops, calamari, lime juice, garlic, onions, bell peppers; 2013 J. Lohr Estates Falcon’s Perch Pinot Noir, quinoa black bean salad, quinoa, black beans, peppers, red onions, cilantro; 2011 J. Lohr Hilltop Cabernet Sauvignon Costeleta De Porco with marinated pork chops, sautéed onions, peppers, house fried potatoes, zucchini, yellow squash; and 2013 J. Lohr Estates Los Osos Merlot with chocolate lava cake.

Officials: Juvenile intentionally sets Va. house fire


CENTREVILLE, Va. (WUSA9) -- One adult and five juveniles were displaced after a juvenile male intentionally set a Centreville townhouse fire Saturday afternoon, Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department said.

The juvenile ignited combustible materials on the outside of the house which then spread to several sheds, to the gas meter, and then to the townhouse, officials said.

The fire happened at the townhouse located at 14715 Bentley Square on Saturday around 12:25 p.m. When crews got to the scene fire and smoke was coming from the middle unit. After several minutes of a fire attack, crews were able to get it under control.

There was moderate water and fire damage to the townhouses next to the impacted townhouse. In addition, there was an underground gas leak in the back of the house that also caught fire, officials said.

3 displaced after microwave causes Va. house fire


CENTERVILLE, Va. (WUSA9) -- A microwave caused a Centerville townhouse fire Saturday night, according to Fairfax County Fire and Rescue.

The house fire happened at 14204 Royal Oak Lane around 10 p.m., officials said. There was heavy smoke coming from the three-story townhouse when firefighters got to the scene. Crews were able put out the fire in less than 30 minutes.

Nobody was home when the fire started. The residents of home found out about the fire when they got back home and heard the smoke alarms ringing.Three people have been displaced. They declined help from the Red Cross. The home was a total loss, officials said.

The fire was accidental and an event within the microwave may have caused the fire.

Like this story? Like us on Facebook

RELATED:

Music Theatre Workshop to Kick Off at Metropolitan School of the Arts/Broadway Instructors

Music Theatre Workshop to Kick Off at Metropolitan School of the Arts/Broadway Instructors

Metropolitan School of the Arts (MSA) is bringing together an all-star instructor ensemble from around the U.S. to provide a Music Theatre Workshop tailored to provide real-world experience by teaching students the integration of drama, voice, movement and choreographed dance from July 13 to July 24 for ages 8 years-old to 18 years-old for $900 and a junior class from July 20 to 24 for ages 6 years to 7 years old for $500. Both classes are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the MSA Alexandria studio at 5775 Barclay Drive. Go to www.metropolitanarts.org.

LEARNINGRx’s SUMMER STUDY TIPS; AVOID THE ACADEMIC ‘SUMMER SLIDE’

LEARNINGRx’s SUMMER STUDY TIPS; AVOID THE ACADEMIC ‘SUMMER SLIDE’

LearningRx brain training centers in the Washington, D.C. area are helping parents avoid the academic “summer slide” by providing summer brain training tips. During the summer, kids can lose an average 2 months of grade-level equivalency in math skills and 25 percent of their reading skills. LearningRx suggests cognitive exercises and games that can build brain ‘muscle’ and be fun too. For a free booklet of games, or for more information, go to www.learningrx.com.

“In many ways, the brain is like a muscle and the old adage “use it or lose it” certainly holds true,” said Maureen Loftus, executive director of LearningRx of Reston, Va. and Vienna, Va.   “Mental exercise can keep the brain strong, just as physical exercise can keep the body strong,” said Loftus.

These exercises keep the brain energized while building cognitive skills, the underlying mental abilities needed to learn.

Unattended cooking cause of Centreville house fire


CENTREVILLE, Va. (WUSA9) -- Unattended food on the stove inside a Centreville home caused a fire Tuesday afternoon, Fairfax County Rescue Fire and Rescue said.

The fire happened at the single-family home located at 14201 Hartwood Court around 12:40 p.m.,officials said.

Smoke and fire was coming from the basement of the two-story home when crews got to the scene. An aggressive fire attack was done and the fire was brought under control.

The residents of the house were able to escape from the house when the fire broke out. Officials said there were not any working smoke alarms inside of the home.

The occupants did not have to be displaced and nobody was injured.

Damage costs are estimated at $43,750. The fire was determined to be accidental and was caused by unattended food on the stove in the basement.

RELATED:

Missing 56-year-old Centreville man sought


CENTREVILLE, Va. (WUSA9) -- Police are searching for a missing 56-year-old man with dementia from Centreville Va. who was last seen on Wednesday, Fairfax County police said.

Police are searching for Hong Won who walked away from his home. He suffers from dementia and may be having trouble finding his way back, according to authorities.

Won speaks Korean and only a little bit of English.

He is 5'7" tall and weighs around 151 pounds. He has black and grey hair, brown eyes and was last seen wearing a yellow and blue plaid shirt sleeve shirt, dark-colored windbreaker, blue jeans, brown shoes and a ball cap.

Anyone with information pertaining to the whereabouts of In Hong Won is asked to contact Detective John Farrell at 571-233-8186 or the Fairfax County Police at 703-691-2131 or Crime Solvers at 1-866-411-TIPS.